Become a Mentor for the LEAP program!
LEAP’s an academic program designed to give first-year students an academic and personal edge at Penn State. Approximately 1,300 students will have a small college experience while taking classes and living as a community in the same residence hall, and YOU can be a part of that. The LEAP program runs during the second six-week summer session every year, from late June to early August. (For actual dates see the Registrar’s Calendar.)
So what’s a Mentor?
You! An undergrad that acts as an academic coach and role model for new first-year students. You’ll help them learn how to succeed at Penn State, working with them to figure out the library, computers and time management. You’ll also get a chance to help them learn teamwork, polish up their academic skills, and make friends. Finally, you’ll get a chance to work with faculty on designing the linked courses the first-year students will experience. To help you feel a part of the LEAP program, you’ll live in a single room in the same residence area as the LEAP students. Mentors can register for up to 4 credits or work up to 15 hours per week in an outside job while they are mentors.
Consider being a mentor!
If this opportunity sounds good to you, make plans to apply for a LEAP mentor position for next summer. Applications are accepted in the fall of each year for the summer of the next year. See below for more information. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
So what’s in it for you?
* Approximately $865 in wages
* Room and Board provided (single room, summer meal plan)
* A great experience (especially for your resume)
* A chance to work with faculty (and maybe get some recommendation letters)
* A leadership opportunity with skills transferable to any leadership position on campus and beyond
So what qualifications do I need?
* Successful completion of at least 24 University credits at the end of spring semester
* Completion of several training sessions during spring semester after spring break
* A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
* Strong computer skills and knowledge of library research techniques
* An interest in collaborative learning and teamwork
* Good conduct standing with the University
So how do you apply?
Applications will be available from October 2, 2017 – December 8, 2017. To apply visit jobs.psu.edu – job# 74611 or search keyword “LEAP.”