Students who are making the junior year transition to University Park after starting at another Penn State campus can take advantage of the Student Transitional Experiences Program (STEP)—a summer transition program for change-of-campus students. STEP students enroll in two summer courses at University Park.* Students must also attend the weekly STEP workshop which occurs during Summer Session II to receive the STEP award.
Please note: Due to health and safety concerns stemming from COVID-19, the instruction modes and schedule of courses for Summer 2021 have not yet been released. The STEP program will provide an online option for students even if there are in-person courses at University Park this summer.
Through coursework, mentoring, and a 6-week workshop series, students become familiar with University Park people, opportunities, and resources. Benefits of the program include:
- Receive STEP Award of at least $1,500 applied toward summer tuition**
- Stay on track toward graduation requirements
- Connect with opportunities for engagement at University Park such as undergraduate research, student employment, and student organizations
- Connect with faculty and staff at University Park as well as alumni and employers
- Attend events organized by STEP Mentors throughout the summer session and connect with other change-of-campus students
- Receive assistance to identify and secure on-campus employment
* Students from the Smeal College of Business must enroll in BA 342 during Summer Session II as one of their courses.
** Students may be eligible for an award greater than $1,500 based upon the availability of scholarship funds.