Please note: If you are an international student who is currently studying full-time at another college or university in the United States, you can follow the instructions in the domestic students tab to register for Penn State courses as a visiting student. The process described on this page is for international students who are not currently studying in the United States.
Penn State is a world-renowned, public research university ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide. As a visiting international student on the University Park campus, you'll be immersed in a university that balances academic rigor with a student experience rich in opportunities. Students from countries all over the world attend Penn State.
Benefits of the Visiting International Student Summer Program include:
- Earning 6 credits from Penn State
- Engaging in an immersion experience to improve your English language skills
- Experiencing a rich college-town environment with residential programming, recreational facilities, and the exciting State College community
So that international students can be prepared for their Penn State experience, English Language Proficiency is required of all applicants. For students whose prior education has not been in an English-speaking environment, English proficiency must be documented. You must achieve the minimum scores required for one of the tests below:
- Internet-based TOEFL: 80+
- Paper-based TOEFL: 550
- IELTS score of 6.5
- IGCSE score of A, B, or C on the English language exam
- IB score of 5 or higher on the English A exam.
Applicants who have attended any U.S. institutions must request that official transcripts be sent from those institutions; certified copies or student copies of U.S. transcripts are not acceptable. The Office for Summer Session reserves the right to verify these results.
Participants must have earned a high school diploma.
- Apply to the Visiting International Student Summer Program by completing the Visiting International Student Application by April 12, 2019.
- Complete the Undergraduate Non-Degree Enrollment Form and the Registration Add/Drop Form and return these forms via email to the Office for Summer Session at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Penn State’s Visiting International Student Summer Program is open to international undergraduate students who require visa sponsorship. Applicants must enroll in the program full-time (at least 6 credit hours per 6-week session) and may attend in the summer only.
Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive an email informing you of the decision. You will also be notified automatically by the Directorate of International Students and Scholars (DISSA) via email and asked to complete the “Summer Session International Student Form.” You will need to supply the following information on the form:
- Financial Guarantee (bank documents, scholarship letters, etc.)
- Letter of support from guarantor
- Current immigration documentation
- Immigration documentation for dependents (spouse and children)
- Contact information for current U.S. institution, if you are currently enrolled at another university in the United States
- Confirmation of understanding: insurance is mandatory for all international students and their accompanying dependents; Penn State Visiting International Student Summer Program is a 6-week program
For information about the cost of tuition, fees, and room and board, visit: